Life in Clearwater offers an ideal climate where the warmth and beaches of the Gulf Coast provide the perfect backdrop. However, the climate also comes with its downside including the threat of powerful tropical storms and hurricanes. Locals know that when it comes to weather hazards, it’s important to take a proactive approach to protecting their property.
Both homeowners and business owners alike are always on alert when storm season hits, but what have you done to protect your property when the high winds start to howl? One of the best options is exterior shutters for hurricanes Clearwater residents and business owners install to be prepared for the worst.
Why Install Hurricane Shutters?
There are many reasons to install hurricane shutters on your home or business including:
- Safety: Shutters protect your windows from shattering when debris is blown around during high wind conditions. This protects not only your property but the people inside. Once windows break the building can become pressurized leading to further dangers and risk for damage.
- Quicker Preparation: Because your shutters are permanent, you are ready at a moment’s notice to prepare your home as the storm approaches. They are fully operational and just need to be shut and secured. No power tools or wood required.
- Increased Resale Value: The exterior shutters for hurricanes Clearwater homebuyers see will make them feel more at ease knowing their new home will be protected. The shutters also add curb appeal for both homes and businesses.
- Security: If your area is evacuated during a hurricane your exterior shutters act as a deterrent for burglars and squatters.
These are just some of the reasons hurricane shutters make good sense in Clearwater.
Beautiful Bahama Exterior Shutters for Hurricanes
Bahama shutters offer a distinct Caribbean look to your home or business. They come in a wide range of colors making it easy to find something to suit the style of your home and your sense of aesthetics. They are an excellent option for south-facing homes as they help block out the sun. You can use them to help keep your home or business cooler by shutting them when the sun is at its most powerful. They can be adjusted to provide privacy or to allow more natural light into a space.
Classic Colonial Exterior Shutters for Hurricanes
Colonial shutters offer a more historic look to your home or business. They are designed to meet the Florida Building Code for Non-High Velocity Zones. They offer a lovely touch to add a more finished look to windows. Shutter widths can be extended by using up to 4 folding panels ideal for larger windows.
Important Features for the Shutters for Hurricanes Clearwater Loves
When looking for the best exterior shutters for hurricanes Clearwater residents need, you should consider the following:
- Frame: Frames should be assembled from 6063-T6 aluminum extrusions with a wall thickness of .078. Joints should be welded, ground and sanded for a smooth finish and to maximize strength. Screws should not be used, unless you choose Bahama shutters that have a hinge as a safety stop.
- Blades: The louvers or blades should also be made from 6063-T6 aluminum. A hollow racetrack shape and welding on the blade closest to the mid-height of the shutter reduces the risk for bowing in high winds.
- Exterior Finish: The finish should be cleaned and etched, then powder coated with a polyester super durable powder. Due to the high salt environment, they should also be pre-treated with an epoxy primer.